Our family

Our family
Ethan, Levi and Alana

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Theology of Thankfulness

Ok, I've thought a lot, and prayed a lot, about my theology of thankfulness. Today is Thanksgiving, and like I said in my last post, I want to be more than thankful on just this holiday. I'm thankful for so many things -- my job, my friends, my family, my kitties, my car and much more. But it's easy to be thankful on Thanksgiving. Everyone's doing it. And it's expected. The problem in my life is being thankful on a regular basis, especially when things are not going the way I want them to go. But wait!!! Maybe that is the answer. I've thought a lot about this, and I've come to the conclusion that thankfulness -- the kind that Paul talked about in the New Testament -- is the direct result of obedience. Let me explain. When I'm being obedient to what God wants me to do, I'm not sitting here disappointed or aggravated or depressed because I'm not getting what I want. When I'm being obedient, it's not all about me. It's about doing what God wants, and pleasing him. There's nothing missing. Now, when it turns into a me-trip, that's when the trouble starts. I'm not happy. I'm not satisfied. I'm mad because my demanding self is not being served. And I get very unthankful, very quickly. Of course, being obedient is not necessarily easy. I want what I want. That's the sinful nature of man. I have struggled with this issue for months (OK, really all my life, but more intensely the past few months). God, you're not listening to me, because you're not making me happy. And God, being long-suffering, waits for me to understand. I think I do now. Tears have a way of clearing your eyes -- and your heart and mind. I need to do what God wants me to do, and that's all. When I do that, I will be thankful that he has given me the tools necessary to do just that. I guess that's why Paul was thankful wherever he was -- shipwrecked, beaten, persecuted and in jail. He knew he was right where he was supposed to be, doing what he was supposed to be doing. He was focused on doing what God wanted him to do, not getting where he wanted to be or go. Let me know if you have any thoughts about this subject. I'm still exploring it. And have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment