Our family

Our family
Ethan, Levi and Alana

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Issues of trust

I have a black and white cat named Bonnet that I rescued from behind one of the theaters that my company owns. His mother is as wild as the wind, and has lived in the stable area there for years. Two of her kittens -- Bonnet and Miracle (a black cat) -- got used to me coming around and feeding them, and I finally was able to catch them in a huge animal carrier by placing wet cat food on a plate inside the carrier and sitting nearby, holding a string that was tied to the carrier door. Now they live at my house. Miracle is the friendlier of the two, letting me pet him every now and then. Bonnet rejects any attempt to pet him, but he loves meat and will get close enough to allow me to place small pieces in front of him. That's the extent of his friendship with humans. See, Bonnet has trust issues. There was a live trap sitting near the barn -- no one had baited it -- and he found his way inside it and got stuck there all night. In his panic to get out, he injured his nose, possibly even breaking it. Bonnet's nose has healed since then, but the experience left him with trust issues. I have a friend -- a human -- who is much like Bonnet. We have been friends for more than a year, and have shared secrets and laughter and dreams, but I have never been invited to her house or met her family. See, this friend was devastated by two horrible experiences in her life. Two people she loved dearly were ripped from her grasp unexpectedly by death, and it has left a jagged scar on her broken heart. I want to get close to Bonnet and to my friend, but they both insist on controlling their situations so they don't get hurt again. And who can blame them? Still, it is frustrating. I'm not going to hurt either one of them, but I can't get them to see that. Is there some way to reach them? How ironic that these thoughts and questions swirl in my mind this Christmas season. None of us -- me included -- is much different from Bonnet or my friend. We all have trust issues. We've all been hurt, but we are petrified of the only One who can help us. There's good reason for that. Just read the Old Testament, and you'll see a magnificent, thundering God who, let's face it, can be downright frightening. Most people were scared of Him. But perhaps that's why God sent his Son to a hurting world in the form of a baby -- the sweetest, tiniest, neediest, most benign form you can find. Who could be afraid of an infant? The world was in awe of him at his birth, and still is today. That's why we celebrate Christmas. God knew what we needed to be able to move beyond our fears and trust Him. He gave us the tender Christ-child. At this special, holy time of year, gather up your courage and reach out for his tiny hand. There's nothing scary about beginning a relationship with someone so accepting and loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment