Our family

Our family
Ethan, Levi and Alana

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Rest in Peace

No, this isn't a memorial for someone who has passed away. I named this blog "Rest in Peace" because it's a thought I want to pass on during this busy holiday season. I am sitting here in my living room, listening to Don Moen on the radio (he has a wonderful praise and worship show on the local Christian station) and watching my Christmas tree's lights blink in red, green, gold and blue. It is very peaceful here this afternoon, and I'm very content. I'm sipping a decaf vanilla-honey-camomile hot tea, and just enjoying the restful, peaceful moment. It has been busy this past week, with work and going to a dinner show with friends, and going to another dinner engagement with family. It is the season for holiday gatherings and get-togethers, and they definitely are fun. But it's also important to pause and rest during this time. I need to wash clothes (as in going to the laundromat) and do a host of other things, but I've put those aside for today and am spending time rejuvenating. It's cold and gray outside today, with a dusting of snow on the ground and rooftops, and going out in it doesn't appeal to me right now. I just want to be cozy in here and spend quiet time alone. And I believe God understands that desire -- He rested after creating the whole world in Genesis. Jesus took time out to climb in a boat and get away from the crush of people as he ministered. The book of Mark says that the people were needy and relentless and followed him everywhere he went. In Psalm 46:10, God says "Be still, and know that I am God..." and of course, there's Psalm 23:2-3, which says "He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul..." The holiday season is an especially good time to wait before God and allow him to repair my frazzled soul. In this busy time, I welcome that. I hope you do, too, and will take time to rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment